If you’ve been down to the city centre on a hot day, you’ll know exactly what we mean when we say Bradford has its own version of a beach. The Mirror Pool is the UK’s largest urban water feature, and it’s also a versatile public space for everyone to enjoy. Paddling children, family picnics at the water’s edge and sunbathing underneath the rainbow-tinted spray, the Mirror Pool is very literally an oasis. It’s a place where you can sit on your own or gather with friends, side by side with the rest of Bradford.
Even in the cooler weather, the coloured lights under the fountains create a beautiful spectacle that brighten up the darker evenings, and the large space also acts as a venue for outdoor events when the water is drained away. And Bradford’s image has only benefited from the addition of the Mirror Pool. Take a look at Bradford on social media and you’ll see image after image of the famous fountains, shared by Bradfordians and visitors alike.
All these things have contributed to the Mirror Pool winning several awards for its design, and becoming a central part of Bradford’s cultural landscape. Here are just a few accolades our Mirror Pool has earned:
- Urban Design Group’s Project of the Year Awards
- Academy of Urbanism’s Great Place Award 2013
- LUX, Urban Lighting Project of the Year Award
- Considerate Constructors Scheme Award
- CECA Award – For Construction Excellence
- Local Government Making A Difference in Yorkshire & Humber Award
- British Construction Industry Regeneration Award
- Royal Town Planning Institute Award
- Marsh Christian Trust Fountain of the Year Award
The Bradford Bubble Up will celebrate the Mirror Pool in our own way with a mass dance among the fountains to David Bowie’s ‘Changes’. This will be a disco dance embodying water’s different states – ice, water, steam – changing from one to the other as you move your body.
Learn the dance HERE